When to Use an Event-Based Audience
- Tracking conversions that need to be completed on a separate website (common with event promotion)
Create an Event-Based Audience
Log in AdRoll.
Navigate to your Audience tab.
Click New Audience.
- Under Audience Type, select URL Visited.
Type your Audience Name, then click copy ID to clipboard. This pulls a unique ID to be used as the URL rule placeholder for this audience.
- In URL pattern field, type a plus (+) and then paste the copied ID.
Specify if this is a conversion audience.
Enter your desired Duration: the number of days that someone remains an active part of the audience.
Prepare the Script
Below is the script, called an event pixel, that you will need to tie to your event audience. Update the event pixel by replacing the example ID in quotes ("25c14f39") with the unique ID we generated for you.
Activate the Event Pixel
The best practice here will depend on existing website structure. Consult your technical team.
Counting All Clicks
Event-based audiences are triggered when a visitor clicks the button, regardless of whether the action successfully goes through. For example, when a user attempts to submit an incomplete form with required fields, they will count as a click even if the form returns an error.
Exclude an Audience
Excluding an audience from a campaign means that we won't show ads to people in that audience. To exclude an existing audience:
- Go to your Audience tab.
- Click on the audience that you want to exclude.
- Under Campaigns with Audience, switch the Target toggle from Target to Exclude.