Your AdRoll Pixel is an easy way to track everything your visitors are doing on your site. This is a unique pixel created as soon as you create your AdRoll account and should be placed in the header of your website.
In this article, you’ll learn how to grow your audience size by collecting email addresses using the AdRoll Pixel, in addition to other common email collection methods such as a Platform Integration or using a Contact Capture Form.
Benefit of Using the Pixel for Email Collection
There’s a distinct and valuable reason to use the Pixel for email collection, especially in combination with other methods you may have running, such as popups and forms from other providers. This is because the Pixel improves upon the coverage for submitted email addresses that these other methods can miss. Forms and pages across your website may change, while the Pixel dynamically adapts and captures addresses from new forms and pages without any additional development effort on your part.
Enable Email Address Collection for Marketing Purposes
- Place the AdRoll Pixel on your website.
You’ll need access to the code of your website and this can be placed in the header.
- Accept the NextRoll Terms of Service.
You’ll review and accept the NextRoll Terms of Service the first time you log in to AdRoll.
- Accept the AdRoll Email Service Addendum.
You'll be prompted to review and accept the Email Service Addendum the first time you navigate to any Email section within your AdRoll Dashboard.
You can also do this by:
a. Navigating to Settings > Data Collection > Opt-ins
b. Mark the proper checkbox after reading the AdRoll Email Service Addendum
- Identify the forms on your website that can be used for email marketing
By default, AdRoll waits until it has direct approval from you before tagging a Pixel-captured email address as “approved” for email marketing. By law, you should only email customers that have given you explicit consent.
To approve forms:
a. Navigate to the Settings tab on your dashboard
b. Select Email Marketing > Pixel Capture: Approval for Email Marketing
c. Here you’ll see a list of forms with their unique URL and Form ID.
d. Approve specific or all forms for email marketing.
What if I install the Pixel but, don't see any forms to approve?
If you’ve followed the steps outlined above but you don't see any forms to approve, it’s probably because your forms do not have a “form submit event”. This is a specific event that is fired when a form is submitted.
There are two ways to solve this, so you can still use the AdRoll Pixel to collect email addresses that are approved to be marketed to.
Work with your team or website platform provider to ensure that all forms on your site have a “form submit event”. Once they have this event, they should display in your AdRoll Dashboard to be approved.
Follow the below instructions to add this to your website:
- Locate the header code for your site and find your AdRoll Pixel
3. Replace the firstname.lastname@example.org with the user's actual email address.
Use Pixel Assistant to Set up Email Collection
You can use Pixel Assistant to set up email collection on every form of your website. It can be used to opt-in email and any other field data on your forms. Go through the below steps to ensure that email collection has been set up correctly.
- Navigate to the 'Website Audiences’ tab on your left-hand navigation bar.
- Click the ‘Authorize forms for Data Collection’ tab under Pixel Assistant.
- Click the ‘Authorize’ button.
- Click on the email form field you would like to opt-in for collection.
- Select ‘Email’ from the ‘Select an Option’ dropdown.
- Select and identify consent values that apply to this form.
- Navigate to the part of your form where the ‘Submit’ button is displayed and click on the button.
- Click ‘Yes’ if you have selected the correct ‘Send’ button.
- A success message will appear letting you know you have successfully defined your submit event!