What is a product feed?
A product feed is a file containing information about all of the products on your website. Dynamic creative leverages content from your product feed file to be loaded when your ad is displayed.
The following 3rd party feeds typically work well with dynamic creative:
- Google Base
- Bing Shopping
Feed Structure Guidelines
Ideally, the feed should be a product-level feed that contains one entry per product rather than a sku-level feed that contains one entry for every product variation (size, color, etc. of the same product). All content will appear in the ad exactly as it appears in the feed.
- Product IDs
- Image URLs
- Landing page URLs
Optional content is only required if it is information that is going to appear in your ads. Additional fields that are not needed increase processing time. Please remove html and newline characters from individual fields as it can cause issues when parsing the feed.
- Prices (often included)
- Descriptions (usually not needed as these are typically too long)
- Product Categories (sometimes displayed or used for filtering)
- Taglines (occasionally included)
- Additional Fields (contact your Account Strategist)
Accepted File Types:
- TXT* (tab or pipe delimited)
*Tab delimited files are the preferred format
Product Feed Examples
TXT Example – tab delimited
CSV (Comma Separated Value)
XML Example – this is an example of a google based XML feed that also works for dynamic creative
Hosting Product Feeds for Dynamic Creative
Product feeds must be hosted on either our servers or external servers that we can easily access through a URL.
What is a Hosted Feed?
A hosted feed is a file on a server that can be accessed with just a URL.
Maintaining Product Feeds
If you update your product inventory, you will need to update your feed files as well to keep your dynamic creative up to date! Dynamic creative is only able to show content from the feed provided to us.
Host a Feed on Our Servers
If you’d like us to host your product feed for you, let your account representative know. We’ll set up a secure FTP site for you to place your feed and provide credentials for you to access it.
Note that files must be uploaded via SFTP.
Hosting Your Own Feed
If you’d prefer to host your own feed, please make sure it is accessible to our web servers. Access can be provided in one of two ways:
- HTTP address (http://www.companyname.com/feed.txt)
- External FTP site (ftp://ftp.companyname.com/feed.txt)
Please provide your account representative with any credentials needed to access your product feed including username, password and port, as needed.
If you need to whitelist our IP address so we can access the feed, let us know.
Important Things To Note
- Changing the Feed Structure or File Type: Changing the feed structure, rearranging fields or changing the format of individual fields after we’ve configured for dynamic creative can result in poor ad performance or even complete failure to serve. If the feed structure changes, please let us know immediately to avoid any fluctuations in performance.
- One Feed: The entire product feed must be contained within a single file.
- Field Formatting: Dynamic fields in creative will be displayed exactly as they are set in the feed, please format the fields accordingly.