A URL-based audience organizes visitors based on pages or products they browse.
Create a URL-Based Audience
- Go to the left navigation menu and click Website under Audiences.
- Click New Audience and select “URL Visited” from the Audience Type drop-down.
- Enter the unique URL rule from your website.
- Label the audience name.
- Click on the check box if this is a conversion audience and set a conversion amount.
- Select the audience duration.
- When you're finished, click Create Audience.
Special URL Characters
There are two special characters used in URL audiences: * and ?. These characters are called "wildcards" and are placeholder variables that represent either a single character or a string of characters.
The larger your audience, the more we can optimize within it. Unless you have thousands of visitors coming to your website every day, we don't recommend using an individual URL to define your audience. Instead, use special characters to help you define more general URL-based rules.
The # character cannot be used when creating a URL-Based audience. You can use ? to replace it.
Learn more about special characters.
A URL pattern is a unique series of letters and characters that appears in the URLs of your site pages. Use your URL patterns when you're setting up your URL-based audience.
- If you create an audience with the URL pattern */category/section/page/, your audience will capture any traffic to that specific page.
- If you create an audience with the URL pattern: */category/*, your audience will capture any traffic to a page that contains the phrase “/category/”.
Exclude an Audience
Excluding an audience from a campaign means that we won't show ads to people in that audience.
To exclude an existing audience:
- Go to the Audience tab in the left navigation menu.
- Click on the audience that you want to exclude.
- Under Campaigns with Audience, switch the Target toggle from Target to Exclude.