There are a number of ways that visitor information is collected. Some information is volunteered by the visitor, such as submitting personal and payment information as part of a transaction or when submitting information to a "Contact Us!" form. Information can also be collected through background processes, such as for analytics or marketing programs like... retargeting!
Not sure if you collect visitor information? Below are just a few possible website functions that involve the exchange of information:
- "Contact Us" forms
- Website/Visitor Analytics
- Website optimization
- Customized user experience
- Membership/login portals
- Email subscriptions
- Describe what personal information is collected.
- Describe how this information will be used by the company.
- Describe how this information will be transferred to third party companies.
- Provide instructions on how users can modify or delete their personal information.
- Provide instructions on how users can opt out of future communications.
- Finally, websites that collect sensitive personal information, such as bank details and credit card numbers, must use a secure processing server (https://) when collecting this information.
How do I explain my partnership with AdRoll?
As you browse [company website], advertising cookies will be placed on your computer so that we can understand what you are interested in. Our display advertising partner, AdRoll, then enables us to present you with retargeting advertising on other sites based on your previous interaction with [company website]. The techniques our partners employ do not collect personal information such as your name, email address, postal address, or telephone number. You can visit this page to opt out of AdRoll’s and their partners’ targeted advertising.